Saturday, February 26, 2011

IMPORTANT NOTE on CUTTLEBUGGING NESTIES

A very alert reader has e-mailed me with a valid concern on my instructions for cutting nestabilities using a Cuttlebug.

My Friday Focus instructions (found here) show the following "sandwich" to cut with a nestability

TOP
C plate
Paper
Die (with cutting side up)
B plate
A plate (the big white one)
BOTTOM

Lavonne pointed out the following (basically reversing my B and C layers):

"In most nestability packaging it tells you to layer plate A, plate C, die cut edge up, paper then plate B.  The reason for this is the B plates are much easier to find for replacing.  C plates are not easy to replace.  At least not where I am.  I've been using my cuttlebug for several years now.  I accidently cut into my C plate the first time I used nestabilities."

She is absolutely right.  Whichever plate is above the die gets cut - and eventually you have to replace that plate.  And, I've never seen C plates sold in local stores - I have to order on-line.

If you know you do NOT want marks on your C plate, scroll down for a revised stack. 

If you are already totally confused and frustrated, go ALL the way to the bottom for a simple way of remembering everything.

But, let me tell you why I do it - then you can make your own decision as to which works for you.

First, it is so important for you to realize that my Cuttlebug gets used at all of our church cardmaking events.  This means I have little control over what gets cut into - even my base A plate has cut marks in it.  So I am likely more immune to cutting concerns than most people.

Second, the reason that I cut that way is because it is (every-so-slightly) less work to switch things around for embossing and, as you will see, I am clearly very lazy about it!

My sandwich for embossing is as follows:

TOP
B plate
Rubber mat
Paper
Die (with cutting side up)
Three cardstock shims
B plate
A plate (the big white one)
BOTTOM

If you compare that to the cutting stack, this stack means that all I have to do between cutting and embossing is:
  1. Remove the top C plate
  2. Slide a cardstock shim under the die/paper
  3. Add a rubber mat above the die
  4. Top with a B plate
If you compare to the following revised stack, you will understand just how lazy that I am as I only save two tiny steps!


CUTTING NESTABILITIES WITHOUT DAMAGING YOUR "C" PLATE:
This stack keeps the C plate undamaged as the cutting part of the die goes into the top "B" plate

TOP
B plate
Paper
Die (with cutting side up)
C plate
A plate (the big white one)
BOTTOM

The stack to emboss the edges is the same as previously shown:

TOP
B plate
Rubber mat
Paper
Die (with cutting side up)
Three cardstock shims
B plate
A plate (the big white one)
BOTTOM

So, the steps to take between cutting and embossing are:
  1. Remove everything above the base "A" plate
  2. Put "B" plate on the base "A" plate
  3. Add cardstock shims
  4. Add the previously cut die/paper
  5. Add rubber
  6. Top with "B" plate

So...is everbody clear as mud??

The reality is that although these stacks can be totally confusing, there is a simple way to look at it.
  • To do thicker things (embossing folders, cuttlebug dies, sizzlits or the nestabilities embossing stack using a rubber mat) squish between the two "B's"
  • To do thinner things (thin metal dies like nesties, Papertrey, My Favorite things, etc.) squish between the thicker "C" and a "B"
  • To do really thick things (Sizzix dies) get rid of that big "A" and squish between two "B"
  • Remember two things (1) the plate on the cutting side will get marked up and (2) you may need to add 1 to 3 cardstock shims to get a good emboss or cut.

Thanks to Lavonne for pointing this out.  I really can relate.  If you check out my pictures from that post - I was using a brand new "C" plate to take the pictures and I have to admit, when it came out the other end with a mark on it - I was sad that it wasn't shiny and new any more!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to give us this information!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!