Saturday, December 8, 2012

Turn on the Twinkle!

I have had this odd combination of sentiments in my head for some time - but after a holiday experience last night that finally "turned on my twinkle" - it was time to make the card...

Turn on the Twinkle

Do you remember how I mentioned a few weeks ago that I experienced my first Black Friday?  I had another first last night...the Julbord smorgasbord at IKEA.  We got our tickets month ago, then waited in line last night with 500 other people to experience a furniture store serving pickled herring and smoked salmon...really!!  I don't do herring and salmon and I definitely don't typically do things with 500 other people.  My deep, dark secret - I'm a bit of a grinch - but only until Christmas itself when the true meaning finally comes through.  (And I do enjoy peaceful Wednesday night Advent services throughout December.)

But last night was FUN!  The food wasn't half bad - although I focused on their Swedish meatballs and beet salad instead of the fishy stuff.  (And the spiced glogg was terrific!)  Most of the diners were in their Christmas Nordic Sweaters or their cute Swedish T-shirts.  The store had traditional dancers and a St. Lucia parade. For a giant store and a huge crowd - it was absolutely charming.

The evening was capped off with door prizes (remember 500 people in attendance).  I won a $25 gift card to IKEA!!!  Then...a few prizes later...my youngest won $25 of Swedish food in their market!  (This one was a mixed blessing - he picked frozen Swedish meatballs and then added in some powdered gravy - and he has decided he's making us Christmas dinner...hmmm??)  So, the other diners were already looking at our table a little askance when the grand prize was announced - a $100 gift certificate.  Guess who was holding that ticket?  My 4 year old niece!!!

We had SO much fun!!

And my twinkle continues today as my little town has a Country Carriage Parade (led by my son's marching band), then I am heading to a huge community church to see my girlfriend sing in their professional quality Christmas pageant with a 300 member choir.  TWINKLE ON!!
And...it's supposed to snow tomorrow!!  I love snow...a brown Christmas just isn't the same.
OK...back to what you really came for...cards...

I used CASOLOGY's challenge: Sparkle


And I used the layout from Tuesday Morning Sketches.


  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Carry On, Printworks Turn on the Twinkle
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Poppy Parade, Gumball Green, Silver CS
  • Ink: Black, Versamark
  • Accessories: Stampin' Stuff Starry Night Embossing (on "Turn on the Twinkle"), Embossing Arts Stardust Embossing (on the bulbs), Quickutz die, Q&Co Christmas twine

23 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, Kim, wonderfully sparkly and twinkly lights! Great post too ... had me chuckling at the idea of a pre-Christmas grinch joining 500 others to celebrate Ste Lucia! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card I love the image and sentiment. Caroline xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute card - so very clever to combine those two sentiments! Congrats on your good fortune at IKEA - man, I wish we had those stores in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun you had at IKEA! Our closest IKEA store is 1 1/2 hours drive up to Sydney! But I love visiting! Your card is super sweet! Enjoy the parade! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I don't think our IKEA does that - what fun (except for the powdered gravy, maybe!) Love your twinkly card - those light die cuts are really fabulous! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week, Kim! It's always great to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you've had a fun weekend! And snow in the forecast! What luck you have! Love the card and the perfect sentiment! We can all do with spreading a little twinkle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, this card made me smile...LOVE the double dry embossed background (still haven't figured out how to do that!), and the sentiment gave me a chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this!! I can't wait to get to Ikea! Your's is the only one I've been too! And I am going to come back in February...fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim I just love your card so much, those ornaments are fantastic! I really love your post too, congrats on your gift card. I love IKEA. We might be getting one right across the road from our brand new Costco--both 5 minutes from home. I live in a very dangerous spot--too much shopping. Thank you so much for sharing your beauty with us at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's probably a good thing there isn't an IKEA closer to where I live... :)
    Love this adorable card! That sentiment is just the cutest! Love the sparkly lights!!! Thanks so much for joining us again at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love everything about this card - the sentiment, the shiny bulbs, the embossing. Put them all together they spell FABULOUS. The IKEA adventure sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa! Luck was sure with your family last night...congrats! Love your card and the unusual sentiment is fab! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a cute combination of stamps to make a great card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not much of a crowd person either but it sounds like a great night especially with all your family's winnings! :) The sparkly bulbs are fabulous an do love the way you embossed the background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely winning card, Kims, just adore it!! I hope someone at your table promptly left the party and bought a lottery ticket!! Congratulations to all, sounds like a really fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First things first... what exactly is spiced glogg?

    OK now for the card... WOW!! I love the card. I really like how it's embossed. How'd you do that? The bulbs are perfect and love the sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hee... love that sentiment!! fabulous card, as always... so glad you played along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would also love to know how the embossing was done! I love the way it looks! Gorgeous CAS card, the sparkly bulbs are the perfect embellishment! Thanks for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches! And enjoy your Ikea winnings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know this is my kind of card!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a fun card Kim, I love the sparkle in the bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your good fortune at the smorgasbord! I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves :)
    This card sparkles all the way with those brilliant lightbulbs! I love the embossing outside of the sentiment/image panel! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun story, Kim! I love the sentiment you've created and those sparkly ornaments are perfect. Your partial embossing is just gorgeous! Ann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!