Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crazy 4 Challenges: Joy Folds

I just updated my Favorite Challenges tab at the top of the page and I had hoped to do every challenge this week, but my goal is already quickly failing - there were 8 challenges this weekend and this is only the third challenge that I have done!!

But it's a fun one!

Crazy 4 Challenges challenged us to do a Joy Fold card which has always been one of my favorite folds - it's very easy but packs a big impact.


The top layer opens up (the edge of the button holds it closed), then the bottom layer opens down and here is the inside.  (That poor little flower on the inside really needs some leaves which I plan to do - but what I don't want to do is take the photo, connect to the computer, edit the photo and re-post - so you get to see it looking lonely!)


There are great, detailed instructions here on Splitcoast Stampers including a video, but the concept is very simple.  The big layer is 4 1/4" x 8 1/2" and you score at 5 1/2".  This leaves one side the same size as a standard size card and the other side about half-size.  The smaller layers is 3" x 8" and is scored at 4".  Then you just decorate it as you would like.


I said that I was going to have "proud-mama" photos today and here they are!


The Colorado Rockies present the Chaparral High School band performing the national anthem!


Here they are leaving the stadium. My guy is the saxophonist between the two tubas.


The weather really is as bad as it looks...


But the storm passed over and the game only started one hour late.  I occupied the waiting time taking photos.  Do you see that lighter line of seats way at the top of the seats just below the shadow?  That's a purple row of seats marking an elevation above sea level of one mile - thus our city's nickname - the Mile High City!


Finally the sun did come out and it was a great game - my youngest was really into it.


This is what baseball players get paid $15 million to do!


All in all, I thought it was a wonderful Saturday night, but my boys don't agree as the Rockies lost 7-8 in a very controversial and tough loss.

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Love and Caring
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Pear Pizzazz CS and dsp, Old Olive, Daffodil CS and dsp, Bali Breeze dsp (the pumpkin piece)
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Markers in Pear, Olive, Daffodil, Pumpkin
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Pumpkin Corduroy button, Daffodil grosgrain and border punch

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and an interesting fold. The colours all go really well together.

    Super photos - well done to your son. Besides the weather it looks a great day out. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so many challenges, so little time!
    Love your colours and mini tutorial. It's a lot more straightforward to make than I thought! Will have to try it...
    Congrats on your son's big moment - what a fun night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to your son! :) Beautiful card...I have to try that technique one day. :)

    Arlene.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!