Monday, January 13, 2014

All Clear Sequins are Not Created Equal!!

I'm a little matchy-matchy. I'm a lot obsessive.  I tend to take things too far.  I've even studied the differences between clear sequins and I'm going to share those differences with you!!

You would think that a clear sequins is...well...clear!  But that is not entirely the case.  I have clear sequins from four different companies that I have purchased specifically for their different properties.

The first type of clear sequins is the silvery/mirrored look.  This look can be found in the clear sequins from Neat and Tangled and from Pretty Pink Posh.  I love this look with frosty snowman or snowflake cards!

Silvery sequins


This sequin post is happening today because I wanted to play with the current Simon Says Stamps challenge: ICE.  I figured the frosty words and the silvery sequins were icy!

I liked the idea of a pop of red which I saw with the current Pals Paper Arts challenge (although I'm clearly going to have to replace my Soft Sky ink pad.  I have an original and it seems to have morphed into something not quite Soft Sky!)


By the way - all of the stamps and dies in these cards are from Paper Smooches.  I'll list all of them at the end.

Also - I use Ranger Glossy Accents to adhere my sequins.  I don't love it - because if you want to move the sequin around of if the glue oozes, there's no way to clean it up.  But it seems to stick well and it has a very fine applicator tip so it is easy to dab it on.  I'm open to other suggestions! 

Next is an entirely different look - an iridescent sequin.  The iridescence picks up flashes of color - mainly pinks. FYI - in real life, there is a flash of pink but not quite so much as shows up with lights and cameras. I got these clear sequins at Ellen Hutson although now that I'm trying to link, the clear sequins aren't shown. Sorry.  At least if you see another sequin labeled "iridescent" you will know what it looks like!

Iridescent sequins

This last card is my favorite of the batch and it shows sequins that truly are clear.  These are Clearly Beloved and can be found at Simon Says Stamps.  Although this makes little sense in terms of a "clear" sequin - I find them to be warmer.  So I have used them on a coffee card.

Clear sequins

And here they all are together!

Silvery sequins closeIridescent sequins closeClear sequins close


I have a very happy household yesterday - the Denver Broncos won their playoff game yesterday so are advancing to the AFC Title game next weekend.  To the person (who shall remain nameless) who had the nerve to say "Go Pats" in a comment yesterday - you are officially banned from my blog reader...just kidding...love ya!

Hello
  • Stamps: Paper Smooches Merry Motifs
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Soft Sky
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Soft Sky, Real Red, Versamark
  • Accessories: Pretty Pink Posh Sparkling Clear Sequins, Paper Smooches Hello Words dies and Merry Motifs dies, Stampin' Up Heat & Stick Powder, Martha Stewart Fine Crystal Glitter
Thoughts of You
  • Stamps: Paper Smooches Reflections, Word Up (sentiment)
  • Paper: My Favorite Things Sour Apple
  • Ink: My Favorite Things Sour Apple, Cotton Candy, Papertrey Ink Smokey Shadow
  • Accessories: Ellen Hutson Iridescent Crystal Clear sequins, Paper Smooches Reflections dies
A Cup of Thanks
  • Stamps: Paper Smooches Cyber Cafe
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Primrose Petals, Teresa Collins You Are My Happy 6x6 dsp
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Smokey Shadow, Copics
  • Accessories: Clearly Beloved sequins at Simon Says Stamp

24 comments:

  1. Not only are your cards awesome, beautiful, perfect, THANK YOU for the educational component - this helps me a ton! I have yet to purchase sequins because I just never knew what to buy and from where. This is fantastic - thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely GORGEOUS cards!! Thanks for the sequin explanation too! SO helpful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your cards and especially the explanations of the various clear sequins.

    GO BRONCOS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh - I absolutely LOVE the first one Kim - the way you have arranged the "Hello" overlapping the red snowflake is awesome! However, I love the other cards too, and your information regarding the sequins is very useful indeed!
    Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info, very useful!
    I've bought some sequins too, but they're not fashionable yet over here in the Netherlands. :-)
    Maybe given some time, they will!
    I do hope so, because I absolutely love the effect on cards!
    Your cards are great inspiration!
    BTW, on the Papertrey Ink blog, Nicole shows cards with sequins which she glued with a tiny gluedot, but I'm not sure if that will hold when you post the card...
    Anyway, your cards are FAB as always!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning, beautiful cards and pairing them with the 'inside scoop' on sequins is appreciated immensely! I have a few varieties, which I've used rarely and, I suspect, not to best effect! I'm keeping this post handy and a most useful guide - and the cards, as inspiration galore! GO Broncos! My husband was cheering them wildly yesterday; you may have heard him....
    c

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all fabulous, Kim ... my fave is the first icy one! Thanks for the sequin review! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of these cards are beautiful in their simplicity. I can see why you think the clear ones on the coffee card look warmer. I haven't gotten into sequins but thank you for the info in case I ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim. Your post really cracked me up, and was coincidental because I spent a lot of time looking at sequins both at Pretty Pink Posh and Simon Says Stamp today! I so love all of your cards. They are simple and fabulous and I love all the sequins. Heh Heh. You have really come into your own with CAS designs. I always love to see what you are up to. It's been a while, but what a joy to see your wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Try tombow mono multi liquid glue. It is less oozy than glossy accents. Mini glue dots work well too but over time it would cost a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful trio of cards Kim!! Love the way you've used all of the "clear " sequins!! The hello on your first card is divine. I use the teeniest Zots glue dots. But I think I'll try some Tombow glue, heard it works well too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous CAS cards, Kim! I love your use of sequins and Paper Smooches stamps and dies. Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Ice Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these cards, and I appreciated you highlighting the differences as well. Leaving inspired...and wanting to make some purchases. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous cards Kim and thanks for the tutorial on clear sequins, you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who knew a tiny piece of plastic could be so complex? :) Thanks for the comparison and I love all 3 sweet cards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great info, Kim! Thank you for sharing. Love all of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great info , and I do love the first sequins from PPP they are my favorite…I have lots. Guess they do look icy. I adhere my sequins with removable glue dots.
    Love your PS card.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your card!! Just adorable!!! Thank you for playing with us at Pals Paper Arts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always learn so much here! Who would have thought there were so many interpretations of clear sequins? I tend to use mini glue dots to stick mine but sometimes its bigger than the sequin so that doesn't always work. Sorry the Pats comment was upsetting :) but a girl has got to stand by her team!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You seem to have presented a research paper on sequin but I must say ur research paper is well appreciated and sure is published :D Loved all the cards and all the clear sequins :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing to see the difference in the sequins! I love how you incorporated them into the "steam" from the coffee cup! BTW, I'm a big Peyton Manning fan, so the Broncos will be my team to root for. Hate that it's my w/e to work and I'll miss the game.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing--huge differences which is nice to know. I love all your cards! We love Payton, so will root for the Broncos to make it to the Super Bowl to meet our Seahawks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a helpful comparison of clear sequins! I will definitely keep this in mind when ordering. Love all of your sweet CAS cards, but especially that adorable striped mug. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!