Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Catered Crop: Musical Expressions


It's time for a new challenge at Catered Crop.  The theme is "musical expressions".


Music expresses that which cannot be said
and on which it is impossible to be silent.
~Victor Hugo


I do a lot of musical cards throughout the year.  I have two obsessive high school marching band members, so I am always doing "make some noise" cards, or "woot woot", "high 5" or "amazing" type cards with music notes or instruments.  But I decided to go in a very different direction for this challenge.

I have been weeding out my rubber stamps and making some tough stay-or-go decisions.  Susan, over on her Simplicity blog, says that if something hasn't been used in six months, it's time to get rid of it.  I haven't used rubber in at least a year.  I have nothing against rubber except that I have gotten very used to being able to see through clear stamps so I can line things up without pulling out a stamp positioner.  I can't simply get rid of all of it because some of it just wouldn't get used often by virtue of what it is (such as retirement or new home sentiments) so I'm looking through it a section at a time.  Some stays, some goes.  This past weekend, I stumbled on a set by Unity called "Faith".  I don't think I've ever used it and the sentiments are quite nice and very current looking.  It's staying! I paired one of the sentiments with a music note die from CAS-ual Fridays.

Sing to the Lord

I don't sing, but I do play.  I played piano for church services and choirs for years.  Right now, my only "gig" is playing with a group of my friends (three sing, one plays guitar) in a praise group.  We rehearse every Monday night, followed by wine and great conversation, then we lead a worship service one Saturday a month. It is a wonderful way to praise Him and I am so very blessed to have music and this group of musical friends in my life.

As usual, Linda has curated a Pinterest board for your inspiration.  This coming Sunday on Catered Crop, she will gather up what each of us on the design team have for even more inspiration.  You have until Saturday, August 30th, 8 pm EST to play along and link up your musical card.  I hope you join us!

  • Stamps: Unity Stamps Faith
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Crisp Cantaloupe, Pool Party, Amy Tangerine Plus One dsp (on the music note)
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Smokey Shadow
  • Accessories: CASual Fridays Heart Note die, Mama Elephant Femme Frames, misc sequins

14 comments:

  1. Adore that heart shaped note and what a wonderful sentiment too :) I hear you re: rubber stamps...love seeing where stamps are positioned and rubber makes that hard. However, that being said, there are some I will never part with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blue music note and the sequins :) such a pretty card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card Kim, I love the soft colours of your music note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Love Love this one! The colours are so pretty together ... the white is so crisp and perfect ... and I love the sentiment and matching die! Gorgeous! Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh... I just love this card! Heart musical notes are one of my favorite things, but even more when it's paired with praise for our Lord. :o) The sprinkling of sequins are lovely and your color palette is gorgeous. I'm so happy to be playing along with you at Catered Crop!

    Hugs and blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lovely note, the beautiful sentiment, the 'essence' behind your card's creation, your sharing of your musical community and worship...a composition of joy! Thank you!!
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, seriously you are a color queen in a CAS way. You have really good eyes especially when it comes to color combo. Love this card! May

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are Amazing as always. I love everything about this. What a fantastically talented family you have. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This card just makes me smile! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful card, and I soooo agree with that sentiment!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!