Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Freshly Made Sketches: Joy!

It's time for a new sketch at Freshly Made Sketches!


Banners and circles and all kinds of fun!!  As I was paging through my binder of dies the other day, I found a banner die that I had forgotten about.  So it was fun to see this sketch as I knew I had the perfect banner die!  I love that spray of stars.  I know I used it last year for a Halloween card, but it's also quite perfect for this nativity scene.

Joy

I did a huge post last week on the high school marching band headed off to state championships.  I have two sons marching in the band and they are both quite fanatical.  I am thrilled to say that the band placed higher than it has in their history - a 7th place overall!!  That was two positions back from where they were ranked after regionals, but they really weren't disappointed as they knew that they had their best performance of all time in regionals. As I stated last week, 5th would have been nice since it felt like 1st place because the bands in front of them are dynasties - double the size of our band and one is almost triple the size!  Their rival band did jump ahead of them, but my kids' knew that that band was very good also.  Of course, I have pictures!  (And, yes, I did plan a blue and red card today because of their band uniforms!!)

050060
040093

Even on the scoreboard!

021

My senior had a bit of a group feature.  He's the very tall mellophone player, standing, right at the tip of the waving flag.

080

I did an extreme close-up on my youngest to see the incredible intensity on his face.

027 close

Here they are walking into the stadium after semifinals.

UntitledUntitled

And here's the final awards.  My kids hobbled into the house around midnight and said standing at attention for that long totally wore them out!  You can see what I mean about big bands.  The leading bands are the big ones in the center, tapering off to the outside. Our band is third from the left as you look at the picture.

Untitled

Thanks for humoring a proud mama!!

Here's the card recipe:
  • Stamps: Papertrey Ink Star of Wonder, Beautiful Blooms ("joy")
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Scarlet Jewel, Simon Says Stamp Soft Navy, sparkly gold
  • Ink: Papertrey Ink Scarlet Jewel
  • Accessories: Papertrey Ink Notched Star Banner die, Spellbinders circle and scalloped circle, Lifestyle Crafts embossing folders

20 comments:

  1. LOVE this, Kim!! Thanks for sharing the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you must be soooo very proud of your sons!!!
    Great pics and hurray for them!
    Your youngest son looks quite like you. :-)
    Your card has some gold glitters, very nice!
    Love the colorcombo and you've inspired me what to do with these stamps, I've bought these a weeks ago, because of this image.
    Bye,

    Marjolein

    ReplyDelete
  3. First…how much I love this card. That banner is so pretty with the glitter behind it! Second….YAY!!! Congrats to your boys for all their hard work. Those big bands are so hard to compete against with their sheer numbers and volume. Your band must have been particularly strong to stand out in that kind of competition! Well done to kids (and parents)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have to tell you that I love the unconventional colors of your Christmas card, and the bit of gold is the perfect finishing touch in my book! And kids and bands...very cool! My one granddaughter was on the drumline for the Lighthouse Brigade here in town, and rather than trying out for the Badgers band at UW, she opted for the Dubuque Colts in the summer. You must be so proud of your boys! Thanks for sharing their pix!! Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe at the size of those bands! So glad yours did so well! Your pix are wonderful......isn't it amazing what "kids" can do? Amazing what moms can do as well.....terrific card.....love the gold stars.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty card Kim, I love the golden edges! HUGE congrats to your boys, so happy for them and their band!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those teeny gold stars on your banner. And I love the non-traditional colors. It looks like y'all had a beautiful day for the band competition. You have every reason to be proud of your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to your boys on their fantastic achievement (and congrats to the proud parents too). Fabulous card! The negative die cut with the gold peeking through is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful card, Kim! And I really enjoyed all the band photos of your two dedicated boys!! Congratulations to them! I can see why you're so proud!

    Happy Anniversary to you and many, many more! I'm sorry it's so late in the day, but I just now looked at my calendar for the first time today!! (I like your new blog photo!) Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Kim. The colors are unexpected but very welcome on a Christmas card. And I love the texture.

    Congratulations to your boys on a job well done. An achievement like that after all their hard work is something they won't ever forget! I love marching bands. I wish I could have seen the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Christmas card - love the gold bits. Fabulous photos too. I just love watching the marching bands - amazing what they do!! Such a great school activity to be involved in too. A huge congrats to them once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A gorgeous card, Kim; every detail refined and perfect! Now about those boys of yours: WOW! Perseverance, commitment, dedication and yes, intensity, are evident in the photos you've shared! You most certainly deserve to be a 'proud Mama' - your boys are amazing! Thank you for a glimpse into this incredibly integral part of your lives...
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your sons and to the whole marching band. What they accomplished is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your glimmer paper behind the punched navy looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations for your sons! Awesome to accomplish so much. Happy Anniversary even though belated and many more. And finally, just wanted to let you know how much I adore this card. The colours are majestic with the glimmer gold and I love all the detail. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fantastic achievement! You must still be smiling, Kim! Hope you managed a little time out for you anniversary. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your card is so beautiful, Kim. I love the gold glimmer paper used so subtly, and the star cut-outs. Textures and colors are perfect, too.

    Congrats on your sons' achievements! What a wonderful accomplishment, for them and their school!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful card Kim! The glimmer paper really adds to the elegance of this card. Love those photos of your boys - that's the type of stuff we see in movies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my card! I do get spam comments so your comment will be held until I read it and release it!